PDA

View Full Version : Death and Taxes... literally

Since
19-04-07, 12:54 PM
from comments of http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/18/1740254

I'm going to repost what I said the last time this came up (Two weeks ago):Taxing people on real dollars earned is nothing new. It doesn't matter how the money is earned. According to US law, anyone who "ebaY's" their WoW wealth owes taxes on the money received. If you try to cross the line between real and virtual "value", you open up a Pandora's box that would be hard to close.

First of all, Blizzard would be in court the day any such ruling came down.
Second of all, if you legitimize the transfer of access to virtual property by assigning it real world value, you open it up to all the issues our money faces today.

Would you need some sort of FDIC-type entity to protect the guild bank? Guild leader gets keylogged, don't worry, your Epics are insured.

Repair bill insurance? Arguably your character is your main tool for earning. If he dies or takes damage while performing his function, the repair bills begin to stack up. Since insuring this guaranteed expense is unfeasible, can we write it off? What about the other built-in money-sinks? Arguably my epic mount is a sound investment towards future earnings. It will allow me to grind and gather more efficiently. Can I write off this 5200g expense? Can I write it off even if I've never sold virtual goods for real currency?

Credit? If I take out a loan from a guildie, and then I stall on paying him back, can he report me to a real world collector? Will it affect my credit score? I'm sorry sir, we regret to inform you that we cannot finance your home at this time. Apparently you have a large outstanding debt with xlegolasx. Would this spawn lenders and credit-issuers in game? "Mastercard, accepted at Auction Houses everywhere. Yes, even Gadgetzan."

I'm just saying. Tax people if they earn money from anything. That's fair, it's the law. But taxing people who don't have any intention on making money from their hobby would cause more problems than it's worth.
Yeah, that still sums up the issues in my mind.

meiji
19-04-07, 01:36 PM
You proposing that FL get into the insurance business in WoW? I can see the claim form now:

1, Name
2, Class and Level
3, Area or instance where the incident occured
4, Draw a map of positioning for the fight
5, Extent to which you followed the leaders instructions
6, RU 1337

Since
19-04-07, 01:41 PM
we should get into the loan shark business... to quote family guy: "You making a fool of me?"

Luurno
26-04-07, 03:19 PM
Is BA your family? :-)
I love your kitty by the way Since.